Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

TV Hucksters- The Televangilists

Deserve a mention, but not quite ol' favourites.

TV Hucksters- The Televangilists

Postby E-lad » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:32 pm

In between baseball and football games yesterday I was checking out a couple of the Christian tv channels.
I landed on one where this guy I've seen before is using the bible Old Testament prescriptions to promise miracles to those that send in $300.00.
I've often wondered but never heard it addressed by these con-men, "what about the people that ask for these miracles and send in the money but get no results- which has to be almost 100% of them?"

It happened right before the good "man of God," as he describes himself, is going to pray on all those pledges of money to anoint them and promises healing of everything from toothaches to terminal brain tumors in the "Next 24 hours."
Then......he walks up within a foot of the camera, fills the screen with his face and with the most over-baked facial expression says, "if you have sent money in before, and you did not receive your miracle....you better take a good look, inside yourself, then send the $300.00.

I'd slap that guy if I had half a chance. Think of the sick and elderly people that send money in, probably a lot of them couldn't commit a sin if they had to. This guy tries to make them think they are not right with God yet, they are not worthy of a miracle. Making old people feel worthless is the one of my top worst things one can do. It pisses me to no end.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: TV Hucksters- The Televangilists

Postby zilch » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Televangelists are scum.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby vms » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Then......he walks up within a foot of the camera, fills the screen with his face and with the most over-baked facial expression says, "if you have sent money in before, and you did not receive your miracle....you better take a good look, inside yourself, then send the $300.00.

That's all part of the "blame the victim" mentality in Christianity. It's just like when they say you need to humble yourself and repent of your sins and you'll know gawd. So when you do that and tell them nothing happened they excuse it with "You weren't sincerely humble, etc". It's your fault. These shysters use that.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:14 pm

It's so funny how guys like this pick that amount, $300. It's like a "value bet" in poker, when you know you have the best hand and you make a bet trying to figure out the highest amount your opponent will call. These guys are the lowest of the low, fuck them.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby ajbjasus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Why are they allowed to broadcast these programmes ?
ajbjasus

Postby E-lad » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:10 pm

ajbjasus wrote:Why are they allowed to broadcast these programmes ?

Religious Freedom. Free Speech.
When they are challenged by sane Christians they merely say that everything the say is "Biblical."
And they are right to a degree since most anything can be justified by cherry picking the inerrant word of god.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Return to General non-thinkery