Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Deserve a mention, but not quite ol' favourites.

Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby the_ignored » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 am

Only on my page this time, and it's a different guy. Not the same person as last time, who was only a friend of this guy. Whatever.

Edit: I forgot what I had my settings for my facebook set at. So, I've just went with the old standby, screenshots.

Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by the_ignored on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_ignored
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby zilch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:20 am

reynold- I get "can't view this content" for your page.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
User avatar
zilch
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby BeamStalk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:03 am

You don't think the mainstream media holds some responsibility for the state of the nation?
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
User avatar
BeamStalk
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby the_ignored » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:57 pm

BeamStalk wrote:You don't think the mainstream media holds some responsibility for the state of the nation?

Not nearly to the extent and type that my friend does. He complains the the media is to blame for all of Trump's troubles. I pointed out that they gave him too much free publicity, and that they gave Trump no more trouble than they did any other recent president. Trump is just always acting like an asshole, and they keep catching him at it.
Last edited by the_ignored on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_ignored
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby BeamStalk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 pm

the_ignored wrote:
BeamStalk wrote:You don't think the mainstream media holds some responsibility for the state of the nation?

Not nearly to the extent and type that my friend does. He complains the the media is too blame for all of Trump's troubles. I pointed out that they gave him too much free publicity, and that they gave Trump no more trouble than they did any other recent president. Trump is just always acting like an asshole, and they keep catching him at it.


Agreed, they are not the sole reason, as for treating him the same I disagree:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/byron ... le/2623641

The Harvard scholars analyzed the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and the main newscasts (not talk shows) of CBS, CNN, Fox and NBC during Trump's initial time in office. They found, to no one's surprise, that Trump absolutely dominated news coverage in the first 100 days. And then they found that news coverage was solidly negative — 80 percent negative among those outlets studied, versus 20 percent positive.

The numbers for previous presidents: Barack Obama, 41 percent negative, 59 percent positive; George W. Bush, 57 percent negative, 43 percent positive; and Bill Clinton, 60 percent negative, 40 percent positive.


Yes some things came out then, including the supposed Russian investigation and other things that could lead to this but as the article says:

the coverage of some news organizations was so negative, according to the Harvard study, that it seems hard to argue that the coverage was anywhere near a neutral presentation of facts. Assessing the tone of news coverage, the Harvard researchers found that CNN's Trump coverage was 93 percent negative, and seven percent positive. The researchers found the same numbers for NBC.


And here is the result:

The public's low level of confidence in the press is the result of several factors, one of which is a belief that journalists are biased. That perception weakens the press's watchdog role. One of the more remarkable features of news coverage of Trump's first 100 days is that it has changed few minds about the president, for better or worse.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
User avatar
BeamStalk
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby zilch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:42 pm

beams- judging by what Trump has done, the negative coverage doesn't seem to be bias, but simply reporting the facts. Trump is a sociopath unlike any US President in memory.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
User avatar
zilch
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby the_ignored » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:17 am

zilch wrote:beams- judging by what Trump has done, the negative coverage doesn't seem to be bias, but simply reporting the facts. Trump is a sociopath unlike any US President in memory.

That's what I figure. The man has a long paper trail of being as ass.



*wouldn't it be funny as hell if WE got into a huge fight over this in here?!*
the_ignored
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby zilch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:25 pm

the_ignored wrote:
zilch wrote:beams- judging by what Trump has done, the negative coverage doesn't seem to be bias, but simply reporting the facts. Trump is a sociopath unlike any US President in memory.

That's what I figure. The man has a long paper trail of being as ass.



*wouldn't it be funny as hell if WE got into a huge fight over this in here?!*

Of course there is some bias in the media against Trump, especially from the more liberal press. But this is more than compensated for by the positive bias of many conservative voices, for whom Trump can still do nothing wrong. It's as he said- he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and he'd still have supporters.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
User avatar
zilch
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby the_ignored » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:09 pm

True. Then there's the fact that even the Repubs are starting to get ticked off at him.
the_ignored
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Another talk with a pro-trumper friend. Blames Media

Postby zilch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Yep, reynold. Maybe the party of Eisenhower and other responsible conservatives is not quite dead.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
User avatar
zilch
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Next

Return to General non-thinkery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest