Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Trouble with YouTube?

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

Trouble with YouTube?

Postby Weemaryanne » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Can anyone suggest why YouTube videos - both on YT and embedded - start to slow down after four minutes?

After updating Chrome the other day, I thought maybe I'd messed up an extension or plug-in; but the Flash plug-in appears to be fine so I'm at a loss. Should I disable it in Chrome and download it from the Adobe site? Other suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I follow a bunch of YouTube channels and would miss them if I have to give up watching. Also I can't watch Cenk Uygur's rant on that poor dead woman in Ireland so I haz a sad about that. :(
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Re: Trouble with YouTube?

Postby vms » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 pm

You sure your Internet connection isn't slowing down and YT is pausing while it waits for more download? Does YT pause? If it pauses or slows down is there a grey bar in front of the white circle indicating there is data already downloaded and waiting to play?

yt.jpg
yt.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Weemaryanne » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:47 pm

The vid does slow down (both video and audio) but no gray circle. If the problem is my Internet connection and/or broadband limiting by my ISP then I suppose I'm SOL; I've tried re-watching videos at different times of day, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Ah well. First world problems. Thanks, vemsie.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby zilch » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:32 pm

re first world problems:

You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to It's All Geek To Me