Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

I've had it with windows 7

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

I've had it with windows 7

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:35 am

I was working on a word program. I was adding illustrations to the program when all of a sudden it deletes all the illustrations and leaves this little note 'The image part with relationship ID rID11 was not found in the file'. I could undrestand if it happened to one or two illustrations but it did this to every single one. This is the second time this has happened to me. According to the anti-virus program there isn't any bug in the system it just won't work.

I'm now thinking of deleting the OS and installing windows XP. What do you think?
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Re: I've had it with windows 7

Postby vms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:32 am

I would first check to see that you can download Service Pack 3. Looks like end-of-support has passed for XP. If you can download SP3 and you install XP with SP3 try to install all the Windows updates MS has released since SP3. My experience has been those updates are still available.

Speaking of Windows updates have you installed all the Windows 7 updates? I'd try that first before going to XP.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:06 am

I just recently tried to run recovery and it even deleted Word itself as well as most of the other programs.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby vms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 am

I've never ran recovery myself but from what I understand it restores the software and drivers on your computer to the original factory-shipped condition.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Unfortunately. :( And I'm told the files are unrecoverable. What idiot thought 'I know we'll have a program where people can really stuff up their computer in one go'?
Chris

Postby vms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:26 pm

As a former SysAdmin I'm always "do backups, do backups, do backups". Anyway, looks like you have to reinstall all your software and rebuild your data files.

You should first make sure you have all Windows updates installed and then install the software. The utility is "Windows Update". You said you were using Word, I assume you mean Microsoft Office Word. Do the Windows updates again after the Word install because if there's any updates for Word it'll install those as well.

vms
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks vms. Much appreciated.
Chris

Postby IntellectualNinja » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 am

All work I do gets backed up on Google Drive or some other cloud service. Backups are crucial.
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby vms » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 pm

I have too much data, over 70 GBs, to upload onto the Internet. Plus I'm concerned about the security of those services. I use a 2TB external USB drive for backups. Wrote a couple of DOS scripts using xcopy to do the backups. I create folders using the current date as part of the folder name so I have multiple backups, two weeks worth of backups.

vms
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:11 pm

vms wrote:I have too much data, over 70 GBs, to upload onto the Internet. Plus I'm concerned about the security of those services. I use a 2TB external USB drive for backups. Wrote a couple of DOS scripts using xcopy to do the backups. I create folders using the current date as part of the folder name so I have multiple backups, two weeks worth of backups.

I was thinking that was a lot at first, but I have 60GB on my 100GB hard drive which is backed up on a 500GB external hard drive. At the present rate I'll never run out of space on the external drive.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Next

Return to It's All Geek To Me