Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

tips on detecting illusions and slight of hand

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

tips on detecting illusions and slight of hand

Postby kyonsenkoku » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:20 am

i was wondering can anyone give me some advice on how to detect slight of hand with things like psychic surgeries and the like, for example here http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w053 ... artie_news can anyone give some key signs of slight of hand at work?
kyonsenkoku

Re: tips on detecting illusions and slight of hand

Postby BathTub » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:41 am

Can't think of many relevant general magic rules outside 'Big movement covers the small', and 'every action has a purpose'.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby kyonsenkoku » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:56 am

BathTub wrote:Can't think of many relevant general magic rules outside 'Big movement covers the small', and 'every action has a purpose'.

so what about with the video i show can you see alot of those magic rules in action
kyonsenkoku

Postby BathTub » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:23 am

I'm not really up for watching a 20 minute video at the moment, did you have specific points? 1 more thing I would suggest it read up on palming.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby kyonsenkoku » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:24 am

BathTub wrote:I'm not really up for watching a 20 minute video at the moment, did you have specific points? 1 more thing I would suggest it read up on palming.

just try around 5:00-8:00 thats the only part where in this long movie about a "psychic" surgeon psychic surgery actually happens
kyonsenkoku

Postby E-lad » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 am

It is all about concealment. The magician shows you the inside of a top hat- it's empty. He then set it on the table and pulls a rabbit out of it.
Making things disappear is the opposite. Things that are seen are made to disappear by concealing them.

There are hundreds of videos on YouTube that show this very well and some of them even show how they are done.

Did you watch the video of James Randi doing Psychic surgery? He had the blood and parts concealed just like the supposed psychic surgeons do.
Some magicians are very good at their art. Magic shows go on every day, all over the world. When I was in Las Vegas once I went to a magic show that left me in awe, but never for one instant does that mean that there is actual 'magic' going on.

Your question is a bit silly, actually, since sleight-of-hand is designed to go undetected, but I'll tell you one thing for sure. When some seeming impossible stunt is accomplished, like pulling parts out of human being using an unsterilized kitchen knife in someone's living room- it is a trick.

If you read about magic you will find that the means of concealment can be very elaborate and sophisticated. That is what magicians and tricksters do.

Look at the work of David Copperfield, David Blaine, Criss Angel, and Penn and Teller. Every one of them do tricks that put the sleight of hand of your psychic surgeon to shame. As James Randi showed, the trick of the psychic surgeons is easy to reproduce.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Return to It's All Geek To Me