Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

New smartphone

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

Re: New smartphone

Postby FrodoSaves » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I have sold myself on an HTC Desire Z, but I've yet to actually use one. I'll let you know what I finally go with!
Froggie already took the best signature.
FrodoSaves

Postby IntellectualNinja » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:41 am

FrodoSaves wrote:Thanks for the tips guys. I think I have sold myself on an HTC Desire Z, but I've yet to actually use one. I'll let you know what I finally go with!

Looks like a good phone. I like the built in keyboard. What carrier are you going to use?

EDIT: Looking at the specs in more detail, I would say the HTZ Desire Z is better than the iphone 4 in every way except in the number of apps available. Make sure to get a large microSD card as the device only has 1.5GB of internal storage. It sure beats my phone's 100 megabytes of internal storage (I have an 8Gig microSD card though), but it's still very small for HD video and large apps. Free tethering is a plus. Tethering is awesome, and, in fact, since my internet is down at the moment, I'm tethered to my phone! Hooray for free tethering! Wait till you see the outrageous ping times 3G has to offer though! :lol:

Code: Select all
Pinging google.com [72.14.213.99] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 72.14.213.99: bytes=32 time=291ms TTL=46
Reply from 72.14.213.99: bytes=32 time=426ms TTL=46
Reply from 72.14.213.99: bytes=32 time=438ms TTL=46
Reply from 72.14.213.99: bytes=32 time=299ms TTL=46

Keep in mind that I live within driving distance to Google headquarters.
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby E-lad » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:03 am

IntellectualNinja wrote:Keep in mind that I live within driving distance to Google headquarters.

That's good. If your internet goes down you can just run over there and ask them questions in person.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Previous

Return to It's All Geek To Me