Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Help!

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

Re: Help!

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Not really no. Could it be uploaded to a yahoo mail & then I could download it from there?
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby E-lad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Chris wrote:Not really no. Could it be uploaded to a yahoo mail & then I could download it from there?

Is dropbox too much trouble?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BathTub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:12 pm

I've never used it, I have no idea what it is or how it works. I use sendspace but that is limited to files under 400 meg. I'll look into it, I was just hoping there was another service like sendspace that allowed for bigger files.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby nemesis » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:33 pm

BathTub wrote:You'll always be running them inside VB. But you can save states and resume VB so it shouldn't be too annoying, and XP will run pretty damn quick on a new PC.

Do you know somewhere I can upload a 500 meg file?

Dropbox, MS SkyDrive and Google Drive are probably the most popular options out there for sharing large files.
nemesis

Postby BathTub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:50 pm

well set up dropbox, don't see any indication that the upload is happening yet, the drive synced up the test files from dropbox, so it's half working I guess.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby BathTub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm

Oh well it appears to have worked.

Chris, try grabbing this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/99575487/XP%20IE6%20201208.ova

Then open up VB and import appliance, and select this file.

As I said this is just a short term solution to get you set up superfast, but this isn't a long term solution as this version of XP expires at the end of November, when I have to go through all the work it took me to set this up for work again. It wasn't a huge amount of work, just a lot of trial and error.

Long term (if you choose to go the VB route) you will need to find a XP CD and install it properly then you can use it forever no worries, just that will take a little more work to set up.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby nemesis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 am

There are other long term solutions. You could consign the Win95 software to the bin and have a look at what's available in the 21st century. It doesn't even mean spending much money as there is so much open-source software available these days.
nemesis

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:48 am

nemesis wrote:There are other long term solutions. You could consign the Win95 software to the bin and have a look at what's available in the 21st century. It doesn't even mean spending much money as there is so much open-source software available these days.

Most of my stuff are history programs and encyclopedias. I've checked and there's no freeware out there that does what my programs do. Here's a partial list:
Time: Almanac of the 20th Century
The Age of Napoleon
The Development of Technology
The Rise & Fall of the British Empire
History of Australia
Murder: Journey to the Dark Corners of the Human Mind
Western Lawmen & Outlaws
Redshift 2: Journey beyond Human Experience
Astronomer
Next Step Mars
Guide to Astronomy
Bodyworks
Encarta
Britannica
Organised Crime
Causes of World War II
Classical Library of World Philosophy
Events that Changed the World
Ideas that Changed the World
Library of the Future

That's not to mention all the games I miss. :-(

Quite frankly if I can't fix it on windows 7 I'd rather uninstall windows 7 rather than junk my programs & install XP.
When I mention this to my friend he keeps muttering "but it's a functioning system" as though it were a mantra to ward off evil. :D I'd rather a simpler system that gives me what I want - the ability to use microsoft word, burn DVD's and run my programs - than a 35th century system which is useless for my needs.
Last edited by Chris on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 am

All of this raises another question: Would a Mac be able to run these programs. I know the Mac can run windows programs but do they have to be up to date or can they be windows 95 programs?
Chris

Postby BathTub » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:33 am

No, I wouldn't think so. I think a VB set up is your best bet at this point.

Can you tell me when you have downloaded the ova as I will be deleting it as I don't want to get into trouble. While MS do have them up for free I don't want to have to have that discussion with dropbox.
BathTub
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to It's All Geek To Me