Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Help!

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

Re: Help!

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:02 am

Chris wrote:
IntellectualNinja wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned this from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Free download for Windows 7 professional.

Trouble is I only have Home Premium. It won't download onto my system.

Also, here's a good virtual machine to play around with if you're bored: http://virtualboximages.com/Ubuntu+12.0 ... l+Computer
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:02 am

Chris wrote:You are a lifesaver. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I got everything set up. You'll even have Direct 3D support, though it's a bit experimental right now.

Anyway, the resulting virtual machine is 750 megabytes, and my internet connection is painfully slow. I'll give you the link in a few hours when it's done uploading to dropbox.

EDIT: 4 hours left. Pfft.
IntellectualNinja

Postby BathTub » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 am

IntellectualNinja wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned this from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Because I did already mention this and that was exactly one of the suggestions I made to Chris already? Twice on the first page.

I just offered one of my already set up XP Virtualbox installations to make everything as simple as possible for Christ in the short term while he comes up a more permanent solution for the long term. I maintain these Virtualbox images as part of my job at work, so I was just offering him what I do for the rest of my co-workers, the easiest solution for getting a local version of XP I can muster.

I'm at home now Chris so I can' check the file is the XP asking about bat.sys or something similar?
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 am

BathTub wrote:

Because I did already mention this and that was exactly one of the suggestions I made to Chris already? Twice on the first page.

I just offered one of my already set up XP Virtualbox installations to make everything as simple as possible for Christ in the short term while he comes up a more permanent solution for the long term. I maintain these Virtualbox images as part of my job at work, so I was just offering him what I do for the rest of my co-workers, the easiest solution for getting a local version of XP I can muster.

I'm at home now Chris so I can' check the file is the XP asking about bat.sys or something similar?

Many thanks BT. Yes a sign keeps appearing asking for the 3rd CD from the service pack. It hasn't stopped me downloading my programs but every so often they'll freeze when I try to open them and when I try to fix it the same sign appears. Also is there some way to connect the programs to the sound system?
Last edited by Chris on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 am

BathTub wrote:

Sorry, please excuse the question. I was confused in reading the thread. Thanks for clarifying everything. :)

EDIT: 2 minutes remaining on the upload, btw.

EDIT 2: Sent you a PM with a link.
IntellectualNinja

Postby BathTub » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:11 am

Chris wrote:
BathTub wrote:

Many thanks BT. Yes a sign keeps appearing asking for the 3rd CD from the service pack. It hasn't stopped me downloading my programs but every so often they'll freeze when I try to open them and when I try to fix it the same sign appears. Also is there some way to connect the programs to the sound system?

What file is it asking for though? There is a known issue where Virtualbox + XP results in a phantom battery being added, you just have to go into the hardware profile/settings and disable this battery.

I can't directly answer any audio questions as we never ever use it, so I've never looked at it. However given the emulation already going on there must be some audio emulation available. Again when I get back to work tomorrow morning I will take a look.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby BathTub » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

IntellectualNinja wrote:
BathTub wrote:

Sorry, please excuse the question. I was confused in reading the thread. Thanks for clarifying everything. :)

EDIT: 2 minutes remaining on the upload, btw.

EDIT 2: Sent you a PM with a link.

For the past 2 years I have been maintaining my work's collection of VirtualPC Virtual Machine for testing purposes. We literally converted to Virtualbox in the last month so we can use VHD's MS provides on our Ubuntu Desktops as well as the Windows laptops we had been exclusively using for this purpose until now. If Chris hadn't asked for help with Virtual Box specifically and was already using Virtual PC then setting up XP is a trivial process, there is literally nothing to do after downloading and installing the VHD from MS. However if you want to use XP with Virtualbox then there are extra steps you need to do. The VHDs immediately fail their windows validation checks and you have to install guest additions to enable the VB to be user friendly. Basically this work/set up is what I have done and then exported and then uploaded to dropbox.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 am

BathTub wrote:For the past 2 years I have been maintaining my work's collection of VirtualPC Virtual Machine for testing purposes. We literally converted to Virtualbox in the last month so we can use VHD's MS provides on our Ubuntu Desktops as well as the Windows laptops we had been exclusively using for this purpose until now. If Chris hadn't asked for help with Virtual Box specifically and was already using Virtual PC then setting up XP is a trivial process, there is literally nothing to do after downloading and installing the VHD from MS. However if you want to use XP with Virtualbox then there are extra steps you need to do. The VHDs immediately fail their windows validation checks and you have to install guest additions to enable the VB to be user friendly. Basically this work/set up is what I have done and then exported and then uploaded to dropbox.

Yeah, I did the same. Like I said, even set up Direct3D support which takes a little more effort by booting into safe mode. Hopefully whatever goblins are tripping up Chris' use of your copy won't be an issue with mine.
IntellectualNinja

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:49 am

If you're want the virtual machine to read a CD or DVD in your host machine so you can install your software, just do the following:

1) Insert DISK into PC.
2) Tell VirtualBox to use your host CD/DVD drive as the guest drive.
2-1) See the image below to see what I mean.

IntellectualNinja

Postby nemesis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Chris wrote:
nemesis wrote:You will have the same problems if not more with Mac OSX as you do with Windows 7.
Well that blows that idea. Rats!

You have not told us what version of Windows 7 you have installed. Is it 32bit or 64bit? Is it Home, Professional, Ultimate, or another? Home Premium.

Have you tried installing any of your applications on the new machine? Yes. The wierd thing is some of the programs will install and the others won't even start. But they are all written for the same system.If you have Windows 7 32-bit, there's a good chance they will run once you set the appropriate compatibility mode.

If you have installed some of these programs, have you tried right-clicking on the program link from the All Programs menu and selected Troubleshoot Compatibility?

Compat.jpg
Compat.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 712 times
nemesis

Previous

Return to It's All Geek To Me