Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

what do you think?

A safe space to discuss social justice and equal rights.

what do you think?

Postby Milo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:29 pm

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/6737#more-6737

sigh.......that's what you get when you let the gays marry. I thought polyamory was pretty much the definition of single and male. Doesn't seem like something that needs announcing, but I'm sure it's every fundamentalist fantasy come true.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: what do you think?

Postby zilch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:38 am

Every sexual stance is a compromise is what I think, and different compromises work for different people.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Milo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:23 pm

But as a highly viable atheist is this just going to reinforce prejudices ? Or is Richard under the radar?
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Postby zilch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Milo wrote:But as a highly viable atheist is this just going to reinforce prejudices ? Or is Richard under the radar?

Of course it will reinforce prejudices. But so does being liberal. Can't be helped.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby vms » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Milo wrote:But as a highly viable atheist is this just going to reinforce prejudices ? Or is Richard under the radar?

He may not be under the radar for long since we know Ray's minions read our forums. Ray would just love to present this guy as a typical atheist.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Weemaryanne » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Visibility can reinforce prejudices, at least initially. But haven't the civil rights movement, and the women's rights movement, and the gay rights movement, and the freethought movement, all taught us that greater visibility -- "loud 'n' proud!" -- also helps to break down prejudice?

I'm glad Prof. Carrier and his wife were able to end their marriage with an amicable divorce, and can now move into the next phase of their lives without shouldering the weight of unnecessary regrets. I'm glad Richard has the courage to try a new kind of relationship, and the courage to be open about it. I believe he is a man of great good will and nodeity knows the world is always in need of such people.

With just one life to live, nobody can afford to wait for a different world to live in.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby BaldySlaphead » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:07 pm

It's not something that appeals to me, but that would be a really lousy basis for making a judgement about pretty much anything.

I mean, I hate tinned tuna fish, but I don't give a shit if other people want to eat it.
BaldySlaphead

Postby E-lad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Weemaryanne wrote:Visibility can reinforce prejudices, at least initially. But haven't the civil rights movement, and the women's rights movement, and the gay rights movement, and the freethought movement, all taught us that greater visibility -- "loud 'n' proud!" -- also helps to break down prejudice?

I'm glad Prof. Carrier and his wife were able to end their marriage with an amicable divorce, and can now move into the next phase of their lives without shouldering the weight of unnecessary regrets. I'm glad Richard has the courage to try a new kind of relationship, and the courage to be open about it. I believe he is a man of great good will and nodeity knows the world is always in need of such people.

With just one life to live, nobody can afford to wait for a different world to live in.

I agree with every word.
Having said that, and just because it is just the way I am, there is no way in hell I want an intimate relationship with more than one woman at a time. In fact, I want nothing to do with ever terminating a relationship to move on to another life style. I mean, I would rather do most any disagreeable task than go through those shenanigans. For me it represents a huge setback in many ways, and it brings so much pain to many more than the couple involved.
But I can say that because I'm lucky, I suppose. I mean, if Mrs Froggie increased the beatings to twice a week, I might have to think about different arraignments. But to have stumbled on to a person that was willing to put up with my shenanigans for all these years....I'm stayin right here.

And I hope Richard, who is 45 years old, isn't going through one of those phases I've seen others go through around that age; some spike in their libido or whatever...."2nd childhood" as some call it. Then end up broke, family tensions to deal with, and in some cases ending up getting remarried to the ex......but alas, human beans are funny like that.

/F
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Return to Atheism Plus