Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

You might be an atheist.

A safe space to discuss social justice and equal rights.

You might be an atheist.

Postby zilch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:28 am

Dennett being his usual brilliant self.

You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Re: You might be an atheist.

Postby ThorGoLucky » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Nice talk, dear Mr. Dennett. Image
ThorGoLucky

Postby 3point14rat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Dennett is the most personable of The Four Horsemen. He would make an awesome uncle.

I have none of his books. Does anyone have a favorite (I still have Indigo gift cards from xmas that I need to use)?
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby zilch » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:39 pm

3point14rat wrote:Dennett is the most personable of The Four Horsemen. He would make an awesome uncle.

I have none of his books. Does anyone have a favorite (I still have Indigo gift cards from xmas that I need to use)?

I have most of his books, I believe. My favorite is still the first I read, Darwin's Dangerous Idea, which is only incidentally about atheism. Dennett explains (in a very entertaining but precise way) just how important evolution is as a philosophical idea that penetrates all aspects of life.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby 3point14rat » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:15 pm

zilch wrote:
3point14rat wrote:Dennett is the most personable of The Four Horsemen. He would make an awesome uncle.

I have most of his books, I believe. My favorite is still the first I read, Darwin's Dangerous Idea, which is only incidentally about atheism. Dennett explains (in a very entertaining but precise way) just how important evolution is as a philosophical idea that penetrates all aspects of life.

Sounds like a winner. That'll be next.
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby ThorGoLucky » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm interested in Intuition Pumps. It seems like a culmination of his previous works.
ThorGoLucky

Postby 3point14rat » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:11 pm

ThorGoLucky wrote:I'm interested in Intuition Pumps. It seems like a culmination of his previous works.

I have about 50$ left, so I can get a couple.

Reading books by people who I've watched lots of videos of allows me to read the book in their voice. Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens all have great, distinctive voices that add to my reading enjoyment. Daniel Dennett's books should be equally awesome in that way.
3point14rat

Return to Atheism Plus