Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

learning to reason

A safe space to discuss social justice and equal rights.

learning to reason

Postby Milo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:18 pm

My four year old grandson said this: "Let me tell you something: I think Ice Man created the Ice Age... or maybe it was Elsa, I need to study it a little more..." He is currently in an Ice Age, woolly mammoth phase which accounts for his curiosity about how the Ice Age came into existence. The interesting part is that he assumes someone did it, just not Jesus. He will grow out of that in time, but other people remain stuck at that level of development. I think it is a good example about how our minds assume there must be agency, a somebody to do things.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: learning to reason

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Milo wrote:My four year old grandson said this: "Let me tell you something: I think Ice Man created the Ice Age... or maybe it was Elsa, I need to study it a little more..." He is currently in an Ice Age, woolly mammoth phase which accounts for his curiosity about how the Ice Age came into existence. The interesting part is that he assumes someone did it, just not Jesus. He will grow out of that in time, but other people remain stuck at that level of development. I think it is a good example about how our minds assume there must be agency, a somebody to do things.

That's cute. And I think it is a good example. That's why I've always said I understand why those who lived thousands of years ago created this idea of god, just a more powerful version of themselves to explain away why they and everything exists. But the ray comforts of the world, living today in 2015, who just lazily assume existence proves the existence of some conscious figure who must have created everything is just silly. I don't even wanna say it's silly to believe in god, it's just silly to say things like it's self evident. We all understand this concept of "god," but seriously what the fuck is it? It's a word we understand because we as people have been looking for gods for thousands of years, and it's a term we understand. Even though, seriously, what the fuck is it? When you think about it, it's a pretty silly term that most people assume is even possible that it exists. A conscious all powerful being that exists in some other realm, who can conjure a universe using magic? That's why it's so strange when I hear an "it takes more faith to be an atheist" argument. For real? More?
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby E-lad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Yeah, if I had to, for some reason become a creationist, I might go so far as to say that science does not support the bible but I trust in the infallible word of the bible, I'll be damed if I would create the goofy shit and fake science to support my belief. I think I'd say- Science describes nature as humans see it, but God has worked in ways that we may never actually detect. And I know this is true because God told me so. He called me on the phone last Saturday and told me that.

I think religion is OK for those that need the comfort of those type of beliefs, but when they think they are somehow priveledged and their beliefs take precedent over reality, that's when I'm in for a fight..

Milo, sounds like the grandson is quite a smart little guy for 4 years old!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Milo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:48 pm

Thank you, E-lad. I'm quite proud of him for coming up with a hypothesis and understanding you have to do some research first before accepting the idea.
Milo

Postby 3point14rat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:12 pm

On CBC radio (Canada's national public broadcaster), there is a fake news show called "This is That".

I saved a few podcasts and listened to them recently during a long car trip with my kids. In the beginning, my son (15) and daughter (11), had no idea it was fake. Not long into one of the news stories, my son looked at me and I looked at him, and through expressions, I communicated to him that, yes, this was all a joke.

My daughter didn't know and was continually outraged at the 'stupid' people on the radio. She couldn't believe there were so many 'dumb' people out there (and adults to boot!) After I discussed the silliness with my daughter for a while, I revealed that it was just comedy but that I loved how she listened with her brain. She was relieved that those 'dumb' people were pretending to be dumb. I then mentioned to her that some of the actual callers who commented on the stories in the show were not outraged at the insanity they just heard, but were actually in favour of it!, so she needs to be listening with her brain all the time.

I was very proud of both of them for processing all of the stuff they heard and having an opinion. Thinking about everything they hear (and read and see, etc) is one of the most valuable lessons I can teach my kids, and it looks like they're doing it.
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby E-lad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Awesome. Love it!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:40 pm

If I can figure out how to do it, I will get a piece of mammoth to your grandson- I have lots of scraps.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Milo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:19 pm

zilch wrote:If I can figure out how to do it, I will get a piece of mammoth to your grandson- I have lots of scraps.

He would be over the moon!
Milo

Postby zilch » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:34 pm

Milo wrote:
zilch wrote:If I can figure out how to do it, I will get a piece of mammoth to your grandson- I have lots of scraps.

He would be over the moon!

I will have to bring it into the US myself next time I come, because anything that looks like ivory is impounded unless you can prove that it's not.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Milo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:08 pm

Hadn't thought of that!
Milo

Return to Atheism Plus