Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Hammy Has a Spear

Discussion on things related to AiG and Ken Ham

Re: Hammy Has a Spear

Postby BeamStalk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:52 am

zilch wrote:
BeamStalk wrote:
shadowmouse wrote:The spear shafts are made from red oak - native wood from eastern North America.... :roll:

The people that buy into this won't be able to tell any of this, and even if one points it out it will be dismissed as well this is just supposed to show how big it would have been not to be authentic.

I agree, but Ham did claim authenticity in his article:
Two visionaries, with the help of expert craftsmen and Answers in Genesis’ correspondence representative Troy Lacey, have crafted six spears, made to the same dimensions, of the same sorts of materials, and using the same methods that the giant Goliath’s spear would have most likely been crafted, according to their research.

Well they didnt mean that.... they will hand waive it away.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby zilch » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 am

The annoying thing to me (aside from the religious silliness) as someone involved with recreation of historical objects- in my case, musical instruments- is that there are lots of craftspeople here and probably in the States who painstakingly hand-forge stuff like this. Probably no one today can exactly recreate how these spearheads were made back then, but you can get a hell of a lot closer than Ham's suppliers did, and without taking four years either. But perhaps those who do this better are not Christian enough.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby BeamStalk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 am

zilch wrote:The annoying thing to me (aside from the religious silliness) as someone involved with recreation of historical objects- in my case, musical instruments- is that there are lots of craftspeople here and probably in the States who painstakingly hand-forge stuff like this. Probably no one today can exactly recreate how these spearheads were made back then, but you can get a hell of a lot closer than Ham's suppliers did, and without taking four years either. But perhaps those who do this better are not Christian enough.

Agreed
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Previous

Return to Answers in Genesis