Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Disco-tute dud

Discussion on things related to The Discovery Institute

Disco-tute dud

Postby shadowmouse » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:19 pm

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/11/le ... 79281.html

In the U.S., the National Center for Science Education heads the science-denial effort that seeks to present Darwinian theory to public school students as uncontested and uncontestable. Now stepping down as NCSE's executive director, Eugenie Scott has been insisting for 27 years on the non-existence of what is in fact a major debate among mainstream scientists about the evidence for Darwinism, going right down to the foundations of the theory. "I'm a scientist," says Dr. Scott, referring to her training in anthropology, "I don't know any evidence against evolution."

After a long tenure, scoring victories such as the one that seems likely to go down in Texas this week, she will be hard to replace. What the NCSE really needed was a clone. And it looks like they think they've found one. According to an announcement by the group, microbiologist Ann Reid will follow Eugenie Scott as executive director. That's Dr. Scott on the left above, Dr. Reid on the right.

On being tapped for the job, Dr. Reid adhered to the usual sort of talk:

"It is crucial, now more than ever, for students to understand evolution and climate science," Reid commented. "I am excited at the prospect of helping NCSE to continue its important work in ensuring that these topics are taught properly -- accurately, thoroughly, and without ideological interference."

But of course the NCSE has until this moment stood for the exact opposite of these things: for the concealment of ambiguity and contradictory evidence in the study of evolutionary biology, for an ideological screen placed before students' eyes to obscure that evidence.

Ann Reid, who worked most recently as director of the American Academy of Microbiology, has a serious background as a real scientist compared to her predecessor. Arguably, design in biology is more clearly revealed at the micro level even than it is at the macro. We hope her past employment and studies will serve her well in presenting the scientific evidence to the public with greater objectivity than we've been accustomed to from the NCSE.
- See more at: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/11/le ... eFZVs.dpuf

Ed Brayton's take: http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... institute/

PZ's take: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -as-usual/
"Get smart and I'll fuck you over -- sayeth The Lord."
-- Frank Zappa, re: Christianity's preference for perpetuation of ignorance

"I can literally tell you all to fuck off and you'll go awww." — Benedict Cumberbatch
shadowmouse

Re: Disco-tute dud

Postby zilch » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Yep, mousie. It's the usual dud from the 'tute.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Jessica » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 pm

The author of this piece is called David Klinghoffer who wrote a book called How Would God Vote? Why The Bible Commands You To Be A Conservative.
God, wearing a blue rosette and a bright smile, glad handing people on the high street? When the Tories win, will He Be given a seat on the back benches or will He be in the cabinet? Maybe the Secretary of State for Justice?
(I am writing from a British point of view here).
These anti science Righties made their God so small that He is interested in party politics.

That short video to the right of the article What Is The Argument From Reason? is good, though.
A lot of the points subtly steer the watcher away from the non-sense of the article and onto a broader ground. But then it is from the fans of C S Lewis, so its not a surprise.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby zilch » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:05 am

Jessica wrote:A lot of the points subtly steer the watcher away from the non-sense of the article and onto a broader ground. But then it is from the fans of C S Lewis, so its not a surprise.

I wonder if many of the Christian fans of C S Lewis knew how inclusive his view of Christianity was: he at least strongly implied in the last Narnia book that "good" Muslims (the Calormenes of Narnia) would go to Heaven too. What seemingly counted for Lewis here was good and evil, not the name of the god. I don't think many fundies would go along with that.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Jessica » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Was it you who mentioned Steve Shives? YouTube atheist, debunker of all falseness, and the creator of the Five Stupid Things gently mocking some anti science topic or pop culture, and the extra marvellous An Atheist Reads. . .series of videos where he takes a book from a famous Christian and reads it, and then debunks it. The series is really worth a watch (his cat has gained a few fans just quietly resting on top of a shelf in his living room). He has read Josh McDowell, Frank Turek and many others and has said(paraphrase) C S Lewis' reasoning and presentation blows the rest of them out of the water.
If the fundies are right, then Lewis is not one of them. Which means, C S Lewis will not be in heaven but Martin Luther will.
Sad, really. I like the idea of a C S Lewis heaven, a common room with easy chairs, a roaring fire, cocoa on demand and millions of books. All the fundies get is a cold church and spare bleak hard pews and a preacher yelling over their heads they should be grateful they are not in the other place, and nothing else for ever.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby zilch » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Yeah, I mentioned Steve Shives, he's a good bean, got religion and conspiracy theories down pat.

And yeah- C S Lewis' version of Christianity is not bad- he hits the high spots. I like his style. A bit of sexism, but what can you expect from his generation?
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to Discovery Institute