Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Lengthy Interview with William Dembski 1-14-2012

Discussion on things related to The Discovery Institute

Re: Lengthy Interview with William Dembski 1-14-2012

Postby zilch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 am

CriticalEye wrote:That made my day! Thanks for the laugh.

As the Bullfrog Blues has it, "laughin' just to keep from cryin'".
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Re: Lengthy Interview with William Dembski 1-14-2012

Postby zilch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:19 am

Addendum: I just reread the interview (well, I skimmed a lot...) and found this interesting:

I went to public schools through the start of grade seven. Fourth through seventh grade was in the Evanston school system, which was nationally regarded as very good (Evanston Township High School was at the time regarded one of the best public high schools in the nation). Nonetheless, by the time I showed up, a permissive and secular educational philosophy had thoroughly vitiated that school system.

Discipline was horrible. I was constantly being assaulted and getting into fights. I remember being chased during recess outside by a boy with a baseball bat who meant to use it on me. When he threw it at me, I tried to get my hands on it and I meant to use it on him, I was so angry. My hands fumbled and I couldn’t get a grip on it, so I just ran inside. Looking back, I think it was the grace of God that I didn’t beat his head in.

On another occasion, I remember one boy waiting outside the school complex to beat me up, with about ten of his companions waiting to enjoy the festivities. They were all outside in clear view with clear intent. The assistant principal happened to be there. I pointed out to him all the boys standing around and that they meant to do me harm. Rather than take action, he simply shooed me to the door. I was totally disgusted. Rather than go out that way, I went to the very rear of the school and walked the long way home. There were many more incidents like this.

Yet, despite all this, my parents wouldn’t pull me out of the school system. My dad, as I mentioned, was from a thoroughly blue-collar background. The best he offered me here was advice on how to fight. What finally caused my parents to pull me from the school was a complete disintegration of the curriculum in the seventh grade.

My parents went to an open house at the junior high school. In the science classroom, the word “pseudopodia” was misspelled on a large sign stuck to the blackboard. When my dad inquired, he found that the science teacher had misspelled it. In the math class, there was no textbook or clear curriculum. When my dad asked what we were covering, the teacher had no coherent answer.

I still remember that math class. An A for the fall term could be gotten by computing 60 factorial by hand (this was before calculators), which is 1 times 2 times 3 etc. all the way to 60—an 80 digit number. This was sheer busy work. It was on coming back from that open house that my parents pulled me from the public school system and sent me to Catholic schools.

I give this background, because it helps explain some of my contrarian ways. I came to loathe the permissive and secular philosophy that I saw as responsible for the utter nonsense I had to endure in the Evanston school system, the same philosophy that provides such a cozy home for Darwinian naturalism.

This does indeed help explain some of Dembski's "contrarian" ways. Is it really surprising, after such an "education", that he has a bee in his bonnet about evolution?

Life is messy and the Bible is not a book of systematic theology, but to the fundamentalist mentality, this is unacceptable.

Dembski's not stupid. Why doesn't he just connect the dots?
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Previous

Return to Discovery Institute