Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Site Protocol

A place for members to help other members with questions about how to navigate the forums, how to post, ect. Feel free to make suggestions here as well.

Yes, we can all read the FAQ, but sometimes the question either isn't covered or it just makes more sense coming from a fellow member.

Site Protocol

Postby E-lad » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 pm

To all that these letters shall come, greetings.

Let it be know that:

Whereas: The Wearesmart Forums shall heretofore be referred to as "the site."

Whereas: This site was founded with principle and much forethought by one MacguyverJr in the year of our Lord Jesus of two thousand and eight in the month of December. "mac" was the founding member and administrator of the site.

Whereas: The founding principle was that the site would operate in perpetuity based upon totally free speech with no rules.

Whereas: On rare and certain occasions where decisions or changes needed to be made it would be done so by a quorum brought together by the administrators of the site. Our august founder "Mac" set this precedent early on after commissioning the site.

Whereas: The decision of the quorum would be final, with opinions of the people that "own" the site (paid money to keep it running ((me, for example)) and founding members carrying somewhat more weight (but only a little bit with no veto power) than the others. As founding members are lost due to attrition then the eldest members become de facto founding members and people that pay money to own the site the next time the rent is due will have a smidgen more weight in quorum decisions. Also, new members become quorum material after a copious time of sane and thoughtful participation, usually after ~100 posts in the forums.

Whereas: The only administration privilege beyond administrating the site is to keep the software running, except, administrators carry the authority to ban trolls or evil doers for threats of violence or defacing he site.

Whereas: Administrators are granted no authority to "alter," "run," "rule over," or "be the boss" of the site without consultation of a quorum.

Whereas: Administrators serve at the behest of the Owners of the site and the position of maintaining the software and orderly operation of the site is normally considered an honor and a privilege.

Whereas: The above statements are not rules of the site, and especially are not rules of how the site operates in public, but are sound precedents set forth by the founders of the site under the consul of "Mac" that affect only the administration of he site with the orderly perpetuity of the site in mind. All quorums should be held with sobriety, reverence and comity with the main concern that the traditions of the site should be upheld.

Now therefore be it resolved that:

The recent addition of the oversized and ungodly smilies were not authorized by a quorum and make the site look cheap, cheesey, and tacky and do not uphold the image of a group of reverent and thoughtful skeptics. They do not help us earn respect for our views.

Respectfully submitted,

Froggie
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: Site Protocol

Postby lehman scott » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:10 pm

No time to comment on any of your whereases.

On the matter of the new smilies I agree with you that a few of them are puerile and offensive, but don't necessarily think they should be removed entirely. I DO strongly feel, however, that they SHOULD be moved from the front smilie page to pages 2 or 3. I agree with you that it does reflect quite poorly on our site to have fucking bananas and sheep getting fisted be images on the front page for any wandering visitor to immediately see. It would certainly not make a very good impression on me. If on the rare occasion someone feels a need to use them let them go to the subsequent pages. Smilies on the front page should be reserved for those that are commonly used for convenience.

Just my $0.02 as a junior member.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby Tilia » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:20 pm

As one of the long time active members here, may I say that I think this display of violence against innocent emoticons is rather disturbing?
Skäms inte för att du är människa, var stolt!
Inne i dig öppnar sig valv bakom valv oändligt
Du blir aldrig färdig, och det är som det skall. Tomas Tranströmer

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason. Martin Luther
Tilia

Postby BathTub » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Yeah I really don't like them. at least bury them.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby rufustfirefly » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:29 pm

:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :ray: :bananaboink: :rayshobby: :spank: :beathead: :shitfan: :shitstorm: :spank2: :spank2: :shitstorm: :shitfan: :beathead: :finger: :spank: :rayshobby: :bananaboink: :ray: :ray: :bananaboink: :rayshobby: :spank: :finger: :beathead: :shitfan: :shitstorm: :spank2: :spank2: :shitstorm: :shitfan: :beathead: :finger: :spank: :rayshobby: :bananaboink: :ray: :ray: :bananaboink: :rayshobby: :spank: :finger: :beathead: :shitfan: :shitstorm: :spank2: :spank2: :shitstorm: :shitfan: :beathead: :finger: :spank: :rayshobby: :bananaboink: :ray: :spank2: :shitstorm: :shitfan: :beathead: :finger: :spank: :rayshobby: :bananaboink: :ray: :ray: :bananaboink: :rayshobby: :spank: :finger: :beathead: :shitfan: :shitstorm: :spank2: :spank2: :shitstorm: :shitfan: :beathead: :finger: :spank: :rayshobby: :bananaboink: :ray: :ray: :bananaboink: :rayshobby: :spank: :finger: :beathead: :shitfan: :shitstorm: :spank2: :spank2: :shitstorm: :shitfan: :beathead: :finger: :spank: :rayshobby: :bananaboink: :ray: :ray: :bananaboink: :rayshobby: :spank: :finger: :beathead: :shitfan: :shitstorm: :spank2: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:
rufustfirefly

Postby rufustfirefly » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:13 pm

I agree with you that it does reflect quite poorly on our site to have fucking bananas and sheep getting fisted be images on the front page for any wandering visitor to immediately see.

If they're not registered, they can't see the smilies, unless they've been used in chat.
rufustfirefly

Postby rufustfirefly » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Oh, I forgot: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :ray: :bananaboink: :rayshobby: :spank: :finger: :beathead: :shitfan: :shitstorm: :spank2: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:
rufustfirefly

Postby IntellectualNinja » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 am

Whereas: The founding principle was that the site would operate in perpetuity based upon totally free speech with no rules.

LOL! Free speeeeeeeech!
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby BaldySlaphead » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 am

I have to say that dislike the larger emoticons regardless of content, but also think they're a bit crass (I realise that many of you may be choking at the idea of me calling something crass).

I do think a small-size Ray emoticon would be useful though. Image
BaldySlaphead

Postby zilch » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 am

Just as Bobby McFerrin is his own Walkman, I will try to be my own emoticon.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Next

Return to Navigation/Forum Help & Suggestions