Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

I just encountered a crazy Christian

Come in, be welcome, introduce yourselves...

I just encountered a crazy Christian

Postby Ryk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:38 am

I just checked into a Hotel on the beach in Newport Oregon a few days ago. After getting into my room and meeting up with some co-workers I found that some of my associates had received coupons for free drinks at the hotel lounge and I had not. I and a few friends who had also not gotten drink coupons went to the desk to inquire, the guy at the desk (the one who checked us in) said "I won't give out drink coupons because I am a Christian and I don't care if they take my job I won't provide alcohol"... I started laughing at him immediately and he got all pissy, then, still laughing, I said, "but I promise I will only use them for wine", then he got very pissy and grumbled and still refused us our coupons. We then proceded to the lounge and explained to the girls working there what happened, and they laughed, I then said I didn't want to get him in trouble, I just wanted my free drinks. They happily obliged and one joked "That guy comes in all the time for a pitcher of coke, I'm going to spike it with Everclear and watch him Christian that" After a good laugh my friends and I enjoyed our drinks and played pool, the guy probably would have avoided any trouble except the bartender having overheard the whole thing said he was going to have to tell the management because he can't have the desk clerks insulting and inconveniencing guests. I actually feel a little bad for the guy, on the other hand I feel great knowing that so many people found this stuffy Christians hissy fit to be as absurd as I did.
I like a little rebellion now and then.
Thomas Jefferson
Dead Ryks Underground
Ryk

Re: I just encountered a crazy Christian

Postby E-lad » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:08 am

Ryk wrote:I just checked into a Hotel on the beach in Newport Oregon a few days ago. After getting into my room and meeting up with some co-workers I found that some of my associates had received coupons for free drinks at the hotel lounge and I had not. I and a few friends who had also not gotten drink coupons went to the desk to inquire, the guy at the desk (the one who checked us in) said "I won't give out drink coupons because I am a Christian and I don't care if they take my job I won't provide alcohol"... I started laughing at him immediately and he got all pissy, then, still laughing, I said, "but I promise I will only use them for wine", then he got very pissy and grumbled and still refused us our coupons. We then proceded to the lounge and explained to the girls working there what happened, and they laughed, I then said I didn't want to get him in trouble, I just wanted my free drinks. They happily obliged and one joked "That guy comes in all the time for a pitcher of coke, I'm going to spike it with Everclear and watch him Christian that" After a good laugh my friends and I enjoyed our drinks and played pool, the guy probably would have avoided any trouble except the bartender having overheard the whole thing said he was going to have to tell the management because he can't have the desk clerks insulting and inconveniencing guests. I actually feel a little bad for the guy, on the other hand I feel great knowing that so many people found this stuffy Christians hissy fit to be as absurd as I did.

It is sad, indeed that these people think they can break the rules to suit their silly beliefs. If they had any integrity at all they would resign the position the moment they discovered that part of the job was to compliment guests with a couple drink coupons.

I would have no compunction whatsoever about bringing about his dismissal, although I would give him the chance to either do the job as required or hit the bricks.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby vms » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:44 pm

I would have no problem if my complaint to management resulted in his dismissal. When you get a job you have to do everything that's expected of you. These bozos have to learn they can't force their religious beliefs on others by refusing to provide service they don't agree with to people. Don't like what your job entails, get a different job.

There have been pharmacists that refused to fill prescriptions for birth control pills to women because of their religious beliefs. A few have fired because of it and of course they claimed religious persecution.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Ryk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Well I would definitely not feel responsible if the guy lost his job, I have a bit of empathy for him because I tend to feel empathy for most people but yes if he is terminated for failing to do his job that is all on him. On the upside he didn't inconvenience that much and gave my co workers and I a funny story...he was the topic of jokes most of the night. It helps that the majority of my co workers are some form of non religious...we really are a bunch of heathens. One joke that my friend and I made was that we thought the point of the Christian thing was to be like Jesus, not to be the opposite. The Jesus character supposedly thought it was so important to give guests wine that he performed a miracle to do it, this guy wouldn't even hand out coupons.
Thomas Jefferson
Dead Ryks Underground
Ryk

Postby Shol'va » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:37 pm

I'd say the alcohol consumption was paramount at said times when somebody was about to miracle the shit out of somebody else
Shol'va

Postby Ryk » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:37 am

True, in fact I am not sure what sort of hallucinogens/narcotics they had in Palestine at the time but I am willing to bet Jesus and CO. were big fans.
Thomas Jefferson
Dead Ryks Underground
Ryk

Postby zilch » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:01 am

The Bible is ambivalent about alcohol, but seems to take the reasonable position that it's okay to drink to be merry, but frowns on chronic drunkenness. As far as other drugs go, Jesus and Co. probably had access to hemp and ergot.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to The Foyer