Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Hi Tech

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

Hi Tech

Postby E-lad » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Youngest son and family got home for the weekend yesterday. He told me a few days ago he was bringing me some "entertainment." When he mentioned entertainment I figured it was some type of new quadcopter or R/C plane and I was right, but I was not expecting this.
Anyway, the kid got hired at a very hi tech security company fresh out of college and after two years he just got promoted to a division of the company that does stuff that I can't even get into, but anyway, he ends up with a brand new, proprietary fucking Drone to fly at his discretion, and convenience.

Some of you probably have experience with these. There are some very hi tech models on the market. This one has some custom software and features that are quite remarkable.
There is just no way to get into any details much ut a couple things that really set this apart. It is heavy so not affected as much by the wind. It is powerful as holy hell. I mean it's got big power and will fly at over 50 mph. The range is a bit over three miles. When the batteries reach a certain low level the thing flys itself back and lands automatically at your feet.
The stabilized camera can do anything you want. You can easily program a predetermined route. That's the thing- it can do so much stuff yet the controls are very friendly.
We tried out one feature last evening. You can lock onto a moving target and it will fly itself and follow that target/ Person at what ever elevation and distance you want. It's freaking hilarious to watch this baby operate in the automatic settings. And, it looks stealthy as shit. Much fun!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: Hi Tech

Postby BeamStalk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:03 pm

oh that sounds like fun...
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby vms » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Careful there, it sounds like you're messing with baby Skynet.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:49 pm

BeamStalk wrote:oh that sounds like fun...

We even locked it on a car that came by the house (speed limit here 45 mph) and it followed it perfectly for 1.2 miles when we got nervous and brought her home.
You're mostly flying it by the camera/ and the touch screen on the remote control. Depending on what performance levels you want you can turn on/ off all kinds of modes and safety features.
One is that if the battery drops below a certain charge the software takes over and brings back the drone and lands it at your feet at 10% battery remaining. There is also a feature that will not allow you to run into any objects, trees buildings, etc. It is amazing.
And the touch screen is something special. Even out in the bright sun today you could see the screen very well.

Fun indeedy!

One more. When start up the system and execute a take off the software records the coordinates at that very spot. This baby will acquire up to seventeen freaking satellites and once it has even twelve it will automatically land the drone back of the exact spot it took off from within six inches. So when your operation is complete you can basically hit the "Home" button and sit back and wait for it.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby E-lad » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:06 am

Update:

So we were rooting through all the accessories that came with quad and discovered a strobe light complete with the mounting bracket, so....we just did a night flight..hehe...very cool flying at 350 feet you can barely hear the motors/prop chop. She looked a bit UFOish in the air. Did a totally programmed flight that covered 3.3 miles in just over 5 minutes and she landed about a foot off the departure spot which I marked with a quarter and within five feet of where we were standing.

None of this real news, there is some good stuff out there even at the consumer level, but it sure is new to me. And come to find out, there are attachments on this baby where you can "release" stuff, as in like faux bombs and stuff. We're trying to sort through all the technical stuff which at this point are more like engineers notes rather than instructions so we're teasing it apart piece by piece.
Next step is to determine how much, if any, Payload she can carry..........Due to the amount of power involved I think she might carry 2-3 lbs. I can see me dropping little flour bombs on my neighbor, and I can do that while sitting on my back porch flying by the camera. later....
E-lad

Postby zilch » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:50 am

That is truly amazing and it sounds like a lot of fun. But it also sounds like it could be abused in lots of ways. You're not going to spy or drop bombs, but someone else might be tempted to.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:39 pm

zilch wrote:That is truly amazing and it sounds like a lot of fun. But it also sounds like it could be abused in lots of ways. You're not going to spy or drop bombs, but someone else might be tempted to.

For sure, and that was not lost on us as we were thinking up all kinds of nefarious activities we could engage in with this type of equipment. Just for example you can go right up to within 8 -10 inches from a window and hover almost perfectly on station there while taking video/ pictures right in someone's house.

We've been buying/ flying model airplanes/ quads for 20 years now and the difference between this and all the others is like the difference between the Wright brothers first plane and the Space Shuttle.
E-lad

Postby zilch » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:03 am

Well, if it only has a range of three miles, I won't worry about you peering in my window just yet, froggie.... :)
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby shadowmouse » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 pm

When are you going to roadtrip by teh Ark Folly for a test-drive/turd-drop/surveillance mission...?
"Get smart and I'll fuck you over -- sayeth The Lord."
-- Frank Zappa, re: Christianity's preference for perpetuation of ignorance

"I can literally tell you all to fuck off and you'll go awww." — Benedict Cumberbatch
shadowmouse

Postby E-lad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:15 pm

shadowmouse wrote:When are you going to roadtrip by teh Ark Folly for a test-drive/turd-drop/surveillance mission...?

Yeah, if I lived a bit closer I could monitor the attendance and stuff.........
E-lad

Return to Free Frawl