Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Random logoffs are back...

A place for members to help other members with questions about how to navigate the forums, how to post, ect. Feel free to make suggestions here as well.

Yes, we can all read the FAQ, but sometimes the question either isn't covered or it just makes more sense coming from a fellow member.

Random logoffs are back...

Postby AD6LR » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:37 am

Anyone else noticed?
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver....
AD6LR
Site Admin

Re: Random logoffs are back...

Postby Whateverman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:47 am

No. You mean you're getting logged out of the forums?
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby vms » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:01 am

I had googled about the problem and the suggestion was to change:

Security settings -> Session IP validation: A.B.C to A.B

Which I did and it seem to fix it since the problem did seem to go away until now.

The other suggestions for the user was:
o Delete all cookies in your browser
o When you log in check the 'Log me on automatically each visit' box
o Try a different browser
KG6, try these suggestions.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2130682

The other possible cause I found was that some ISPs have routers that automatically change IP on you. Of course I can't find that reference now.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby AD6LR » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:39 am

Tried those....

NO joy.

Still getting randomly logged out.
AD6LR
Site Admin

Postby Whateverman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:39 pm

This happens to me, but I'm guessing it a matter of the cookies expiring. How often does it happen to you, K?
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby BaldySlaphead » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm havng to log in every time I visit, so multiple times a day. Mainly accessing from iPhone 3GS.
BaldySlaphead

Postby Whateverman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm

I typically access the forums only with Chrome from my desktop. I've found that if I access them from multiple places (re. desktop at work vs desktop at home vs iPod), it requires me to log in again (and this makes sense).

It's possible that portable devices handle authentication in such a way that PHPBB invalidates the associated cookies.

Sorry with the endless questions, but for those of you who have this problem:

1) Do you use multiple devices/browsers, or do you access SMRT only from one device/browser? If multiple, try only using one for a week, and see if that makes the problem go away

2) If you access the forums consistently with whatever routine you're used to, does this problem go away and then reappear?
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby BaldySlaphead » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Whateverman wrote:I typically access the forums only with Chrome from my desktop. I've found that if I access them from multiple places (re. desktop at work vs desktop at home vs iPod), it requires me to log in again (and this makes sense).

It's possible that portable devices handle authentication in such a way that PHPBB invalidates the associated cookies.

I've discovered it happening only in the last few days or so (could be up to a week).

Whateverman wrote:Sorry with the endless questions, but for those of you who have this problem:

1) Do you use multiple devices/browsers, or do you access SMRT only from one device/browser? If multiple, try only using one for a week, and see if that makes the problem go away

Yes; phone, PC (firefox), Work PC (firefox).

Whateverman wrote:2) If you access the forums consistently with whatever routine you're used to, does this problem go away and then reappear?

My behaviour hasn't altered and yet the forum is now logging me off practically every time I visit. This didn't used to happen. Once a week I might have to re-log in, but not every time.
BaldySlaphead

Postby AD6LR » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:04 am

It's at least daily for me.

Could this be it???

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1514835
AD6LR
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:15 am

I was talking with Jim about this yesterday in chat, is anyone opposed to shutting down the wordpress section of the site?

I dont think anyone particularly uses it and it could solve the log-off issues.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Next

Return to Navigation/Forum Help & Suggestions