Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Chat

A place for members to help other members with questions about how to navigate the forums, how to post, ect. Feel free to make suggestions here as well.

Yes, we can all read the FAQ, but sometimes the question either isn't covered or it just makes more sense coming from a fellow member.

Chat

Postby rufustfirefly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Is there a way to hide, or get rid of, if need be, chat? I'm getting tired of the "guest" bullshit.I would rather not see it when I come here.
rufustfirefly

Re: Chat

Postby Darmog » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 pm

In your User Control Panel on the top left under homepage, there is a tab on the right side called mchat. You can turn it off from there
Darmog

Postby rufustfirefly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:24 pm

Thank . . . well, you know.
rufustfirefly

Postby E-lad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:32 pm

rufustfirefly wrote:Is there a way to hide, or get rid of, if need be, chat? I'm getting tired of the "guest" bullshit.I would rather not see it when I come here.

Roof,
I'm feelin that same feeling. I think the chat has detracted from the general discussions. But I also think that it has given a chance for some of the fundies to barge in with their novice troll personas, exposing themselves as such. So it's hard to measure the value one way or the other, for me.

On the other hand, I've had some great freewheeling discussions with Smrtians and fundies alike, and made some connections in the process. So, I am conflicted to some degree. The one thing that I know is that nothing stays static these days. Every blog, forum, and opinion place evolves, even though we all hate, or resist change- simple human nature.

Going forward, we can discuss this and make some conscious decisions. Takes time.

Personally I may need to recuse myself since I have lost interest in the total discussion. I don't read the Swamp any more, nor most of the other sites discussed here. I am more concerned, as I have been in the past, about the political ramifications for the next presidential elections next year, and Ray fucking Comfort has no bearing on that.

So, my friend, As founders of Smrt, let's make our case and move on. If the day comes when my vote is ineffectual, I don't give a flying fuck. I would, however, like to stay in touch with those of you that I trust, and who I have shared so much in the past, including you.

Your friend,

Dale
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BathTub » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Well as before, I would love it to be logged in only at times.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:26 am

I its a good gateway drug for members. Not only are people happy to just start chatting as a guest, but it also acts as a way for us admins to differentiate between real accounts and spammers.
I get around 30 or so spam applications over night and maybe 80 or so a day, without chat people might not be bothered to let us know they haven't been authorised.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby rufustfirefly » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:09 am

If they register and stay with it I don't much care what they say. I'm just tired of "guests" in general carrying on long conversations. I keep hearing that people get logged out in chat. I've never had that happen. The only problems I've had are the SQL error, and one other kind on logging in and posting in the forums.

Comfort does get old. The only reason I bother is for laughs. Except that Miano can piss me off. And I don't know who the first "Apetheist" is, but whether it's a Christian or an atheist or what, they get to me. So I just need to stay away. But it's a car wreck that is hard to turn away from. Actually, I need to stay away from fundy sites in general, but AC and RR are my biggest addictions. Sometimes I just can't get over the fact that those people at Rapture Ready really believe that shit and spend that much time talking about it.

But this was mostly about the guests in chat. I've had nice discussions there about various subjects, but that part turns me off and for now I've turned off the chat on my board.

We're coming up on three years, aren't we? It's been mostly pretty fucking cool.
rufustfirefly

Postby E-lad » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:35 am

Yes. Cool. Some very cool folks, indeed.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 am

E-lad wrote:Yes. Cool. Some very cool folks, indeed.

I'll third that, rufus and froggie.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to Navigation/Forum Help & Suggestions