Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Allow only registered users see chat?

A place for members to help other members with questions about how to navigate the forums, how to post, ect. Feel free to make suggestions here as well.

Yes, we can all read the FAQ, but sometimes the question either isn't covered or it just makes more sense coming from a fellow member.

Should only registered users see chat?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 10

Allow only registered users see chat?

Postby vms » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 pm

This is a poll to see if only registered users that are logged in can see chat.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Re: Allow only registered users see chat?

Postby IntellectualNinja » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 pm

In order to register for the site, there's like a waiting period for approval. Chatting, at the very least, should be encouraged. Maybe a quick-register for non-members for chat only could work. However, given the current setup, I'm afraid I have to vote no. Sorry Rufus.
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby BathTub » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 pm

I'd settle for ip bans working in the chat room. Bascially people can be deliberately disruptive and we can't address it at all.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby vms » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:46 pm

IN that's no longer true. I changed it awhile back so it uses CAPTCHA to prevent spambots and it sends an e-mail to the e-mail address they enter. The e-mail has a link they have to chick on to activate the account.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby vms » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 pm

BathTub wrote:I'd settle for ip bans working in the chat room. Bascially people can be deliberately disruptive and we can't address it at all.

I didn't find an option in the mchat options page to do this. Unless someone else wants to do PHP coding it's not possible.

EDIT: Ideal solution would be to set "Can view mChat" permission to NO for the Guest account but that requires upgrading phpBB to the latest version. Again, we have a non-standard install so I'm pretty sure the upgrade procedure would fail. Therefore a fresh install would be require. I'm really reluctant to attempt it. Maybe if I get brave someday.

vms
Site Admin

Postby lehman scott » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:54 am

I was in the chat room yesterday and last night when BathTub had to doggedly hit the delete key on all the offensive shit that our foul-mouthed guest was putting up (thanks, btw, BathTub). It truly was vile in the extreme. That being said, I'm about six weeks away from my first anniversary of joining you motley crew of miscreants (has it been that long already? Jeez, sometimes it feels like I just got here), and in that time I do not recall one instance of a guest behaving anywhere near yesterday's degree of obscenities. If we don't change things, will it happen again? Most likely. Do I think we should make the proposed change to deal with that possibility? I vote no (sorry rufus).

Here's why. In spite of all the influence of religiosity contained in how my parents raised me, they were wise enough and sensible enough to instill in me some values that the church never did and never could. First and foremost among those was the idea that one of the true signs of success in life is that upon leaving it you can look back on it with the satisfaction knowing you left it a better place than how you found it. I see this place as one potential way to do that. We all know the damage that the objects of our scorn are doing to the world - - the sooner we rid the planet of this endemic scourge the better off we and our descendants all will be. Although WeAreSMRT certainly ain't no Pharyngula (good thing, too, you admins would need to start getting paid if we were to go down that path), this wonderful little alcove in the internet plays a part in that overall mission.

You folks started The Raytractors with a very humble purpose, and in that civic duty this site excels like no other site on the web. No one shreds Comfort and his minions and cohorts to pieces better than SMRTians. At the same time, I'd like to think that, intentionally or not, that purpose has expanded to include reaching out to the anonymous non-deconverted guests who pop in just to check us out. While it could be argued that that function can be filled fine by allowing guests to only look at the forums and not view or participate in chat, I think excluding them from chat is to let them all miss out on something important: this place is a fun and wonderful community. We care about each other and teach and learn things from each other on a daily basis in ways that you really can't get a sense of if all you're doing is reading the forums. I suspect many fence-sitting believers whose lives are wrapped up in their religions probably hold themselves back from getting off that fence because they don't see many caring communities outside of that world.

Am I making too much of that role here within the larger expanding atheist blogosphere communities? I really don't know. I do know this, though: for the last couple of months I've made a habit a couple of times a day of seeing who's on line, and every time I do I'm amazed at the number of guests who are either lurking in chat or exploring the forums. I think shutting off chat to them closes down their opportunity to be able to pop in and ask questions and engage in conversation with us. Sure, they can learn things in the forums, but one-on-one interaction takes it to a level where we have the chance to really make a difference, in my opinion. The journey to deconversion can be a long one - - it was for me, at least, and I know it was for many other ex-believers, as well. Having a place to stop by and say hello to a bunch of friendly godless heathens who know and like you can be a very helpful and comforting stop along that journey.

Case in point, Geoff - - he came in chat as a guest, got to know us, and registered. He's not a regular visitor that I know of, but on two occasions since then he's said hello in chat to let us know how he's doing (he's a new father of a baby boy). If he didn't have questions lurking in the back of his mind about his religious beliefs I wonder why in the hell he does make the time to visit us. The point is, I doubt that he would have taken the time to register if he hadn't been able to get to know us for a while first as a guest in chat. Bruce is another great example - - she's a fence-sitter if I've ever seen one, although she'd never admit it, of course. I'm sure it won't be long until she registers.

Okay, that's enough blathering from me on the topic, I suppose - - my apologies, I've been on a writing roll this week.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby rufustfirefly » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:36 am

Fuck it.
rufustfirefly

Return to Navigation/Forum Help & Suggestions