Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Guests

A place for members to help other members with questions about how to navigate the forums, how to post, ect. Feel free to make suggestions here as well.

Yes, we can all read the FAQ, but sometimes the question either isn't covered or it just makes more sense coming from a fellow member.

Re: Guests

Postby Nohm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:10 pm

I read what the Guest wrote, and I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. I agree with Zilch that this is a consequence of free speech, and it's a consequence that I shrug-accept-and-adapt to.

I am of the opinion that I'd rather have someone do what that Guest did, than to wipe out chat altogether. Just as I've told some theists to ignore some board regulars if the theist was bothered by their comments, I feel the same way in this reversed situation. If you don't like what a troll says, ignore him. An ignored troll will get bored and eventually bail.
Nohm

Postby Quasar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:11 am

This guy was getting a bit "Dennis Markuze"y on us, though. I think it would have been another month or two before he bailed, even if eveyone ignored him (and they weren't).
"You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process."
- Zombie Marie Curie
Quasar

Postby Nohm » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:08 am

I respect what you're saying, Quasar, but I come from a point of view that thinks, "if the chat goes away because of a troll, then the troll won."

As I said, I recognize that I don't run this site, and therefore I'll go with whatever the admins decide for this site, but I very much disagree with this particular solution.
Nohm

Postby E-lad » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:44 am

Nohm wrote:I respect what you're saying, Quasar, but I come from a point of view that thinks, "if the chat goes away because of a troll, then the troll won."

As I said, I recognize that I don't run this site, and therefore I'll go with whatever the admins decide for this site, but I very much disagree with this particular solution.

I totally agree, except that if we were in the shoes of the admin, would we re-think that?
If there might be legal recourse directed at you?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Quasar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:48 am

Ah well. I have to admit, I'd rather dump the chat than piss off Rufus.

He scares me.

(Edit) I mean that in only the jokiest of ways, of course.
"You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process."
- Zombie Marie Curie
Quasar

Postby lehman scott » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:03 am

Nohm wrote:I come from a point of view that thinks, "if the chat goes away because of a troll, then the troll won."

Likewise, Sir... and he unquestionably did.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby zilch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:03 am

Likewise. We don't need to waste time with pricks. If rufus says we should somehow ban this guy, that's good enough for me. If that means requiring approved registration or whatever, so be it.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Previous

Return to Navigation/Forum Help & Suggestions